I envision a more just, equitable, sustainable and prosperous Colorado for all, where everyone, no matter who their parents are, where they are from, the color of their skin, their gender, or whom they love, has the opportunity to work hard to reach their dreams.
To help attain this vision as your State Representative, I concentrate on these three goals:
- Expand economic and educational opportunities for all
- Protect our environment for this and future generations
- Improve our infrastructure so people and businesses throughout Colorado can prosper
All my adult life, I have worked for this vision and these goals, first as a social scientist and community volunteer, then as an elected official. I believe strongly in public service that brings people together by:
- Using partnerships, not partisanship
- Building bridges, not barriers, and
- Developing and implementing policies based on evidence, not ideology.
Earned House Leadership roles for 2017 through 2018
Appointed by the House Speaker to be the chair of the House Transportation and Energy Committees, and Vice-Chair of the House Agriculture, Livestock and Natural Resources Committee.
Accomplishments, 2013 through 2016
As your State Representative, I have worked with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to achieve the three fundamental goals stated above.
Expand Economic and Educational Opportunities for all:
Helped balance Colorado’s budget each year and increased our rainy day fund
Provided more funding for preschool, K-12, and higher education:
- Sponsored and passed the Debt Free Schools Act (HB16-1354) with bipartisan support
- Cut outmoded, burdensome accounting and decision-making requirements for Colorado Mountain College (HB16-1259 and HB15)
- Capped yearly tuition increases at 6% for our state public universities and colleges
- Increased funding for higher education
- Funded grants for adult education and literacy across Colorado to increase economic opportunity and help struggling adults find jobs to support themselves and their families
Expanded childcare tax credits and enhanced childcare program assistance
- Helped small businesses grow and create good jobs in our communities:
- Established tax deductions for those that lease out agricultural assets such as land to beginning farmers and ranchers (HB16-1194)
- Provided liability protection for agri-tourism
- Incentivized agricultural producers to donate food products to charities like United Way of Colorado
- Provided on-the-job skills, training, and experience by extending the ReHire Colorado program,
- Funded tourism and creative industries
Supported our veterans as they return from service by increasing services and job training partnerships by matching employers’ needs with veteran’s skills.
Provided legal representation for victims of family violence through Family Violence Justice Grants.
Strengthened enforcement mechanisms that prohibit discrimination in employment, housing and with public accommodation by funding the Colorado Civil Rights Commission
Repeatedly supported measures to equalize pay differences between men and women
Started the process of examining our options to reduce health care and insurance costs in our mountain communities:
- Directed the Division of Insurance to examine the potential impact of a statewide risk pool on health insurance premiums across the state (HB16-1336)
- Co-sponsored creation of a Health Care Cost Commission to examine and the costs of healthcare in Colorado (SB14-187)
Protect Our Environment for this and Future Generations:
Encouraged energy efficiency and renewable energy growth:
- Stimulated rural businesses and rural job growth by simplifying complex hydroelectric permitting processes for small facilities (HB14-1030).
- Helped incentivize community solar gardens by simplifying geographical and jurisdictional requirements
Protected our air and water quality, wildlife, and public lands:
- Strengthened requirements for oil spill reporting (HB13-1278)
- Helped create the nation’s first State Public Lands Day (SB16-021)
- Helped establish renewable energy standards for electric co-ops (SB13-252)
- Boosted wildfire preparedness and prevention
- Allowed personal collection of rainwater
- Found funding through the Healthy Rivers Tax Check-off for cleanup and stream management programs (HB 15-1252)
- Worked to keep our rivers free-flowing and healthy in their basin of origin, especially in the 2015 Colorado Water Plan
Improve our infrastructure so people and businesses throughout Colorado can prosper:
- Funded transportation, road expansion needs, and the Safe Routes to School program:
- Ensured that we as a state continue to fund transit programs, such as Bustang, by opposing bills that would have eliminated essential funding
- Introduced and supported legislation to propose solutions to our transportation needs as Vice Chair of the House Transportation and Energy Committee and a member of the Interim Joint Transportation Legislation Review Committee
- Made sure that our kids, regardless of the district they live in, can get to school safely by protecting funding for the Safe Routes to School program (HB14-1301)
Co-sponsored a bill for funding high-speed broadband services in rural areas
- Incentivized the construction of affordable housing with tax credits and low-interest loans
- Supported gun safety laws including background checks for all firearm purchasers
- Sponsored Rural Family Medicine residency programs
- Protected the Office of Consumer Counsel
My Record of Effectiveness Working for You
As your State Representative, I have been formally recognized since 2013 as an effective legislator who works across the aisle for evidence-based bills to help all Coloradans, especially the people of our beautiful headwaters district, Eagle County and Routt County. I worked to make our Colorado State Government more accountable, fiscally responsible, transparent, responsive, effective, and nimble.
Link to all of my Passed Bills (PDF)
Testimonials for Diane
Endorsements for Diane